Tuscaloosa County Probate Judge Hardy McCullom says the actual number of tornado-related deaths in Tuscaloosa County is likely closer to 50, despite Sunday's official announcement of 39 tornado-related deaths.
McCullom made the statement Sunday evening to FOX6 News reporter Alan Collins. Earlier in the day at a news conference at City Hall, city officials said there were 40 deaths, 373 people missing, and 1000+ injured. Shortly after that news conference, FOX6 News received a fax from city officials listing 39 names on its list of storm-related fatalities.
City officials also said the nightly curfew would be extended through Tuesday.
Rep. John Merrill is asking people to call Tuscaloosa City Hall or the probate judge's office with information about trailers or prefab housing kits to house displaced workers. Merrill says he expects state House Speaker Mike Hubbard will talk Tuesday about some financing plans, including a possible bond issue to help Tuscaloosa and other tornado-ravaged counties.
Copyright 2011 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive