A portion of Riverchase Galleria was evacuated Friday after an electrical problem set a transformer on fire and sent smoke and debris through parts of the mall.
Hoover firefighters were called shortly after noon to Riverchase Galleria. The fire was initially reported near the Sears end of the mall near the LEGO store.
Officials say that around noon, a worker accidentally cut a wire at the site of a store that had not yet opened between The Children's Place and Brookstone. The cut wire started an electric fire and then caused a transformer outside the mall to catch on fire.
A representative of the LEGO Group, which has a store near that end of the mall, told FOX6 News the fire occurred two doors down from the LEGO store. The representative said the LEGO store is fine and no one in the LEGO store was hurt. The representative added the staff were evacuated and the store would be closed for the remainder of the day.
Several witnesses emailed FOX6 News describing an explosion. One witness said there was "a big electrical power surge" followed by flickering lights and an explosion which rattled the walls. The witness said debris fell from the ceiling and noticed a transformer on fire outside the mall as they evacuated.
Firefighters and mall security evacuated that portion of the mall. No injuries were initially reported. Officials say many stores suffered smoke and water damage. Some stores may not reopen until Sunday.
Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive