A spokesperson for Shelby County Schools confirms to FOX6 News that approximately eight Helena Middle School students were exposed to a small amount of mercury Thursday.
Spokesperson Cindy Warner says that the amount of mercury is equal to that in a home thermometer. She says that seven to eight students were first exposed in a science lab and the mercury was then transferred to another room.
The student were isolated by school staff and showered, had their
clothes sealed in bags and are being monitored for any illness. So far,
Warner says the students' health appears normal.
EMA officials used a mercury detecting device called a "Jerome meter" to test the students. No traces of mercury were found and the students have been allowed to go home.
School officials have called the EMA and ADEM and Warner says the hazmat crews and investigating.
The two classrooms where officials believe the mercury was located have been closed.
Check back to MyFoxAl.com for more information as this story develops.
Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive