Blount Co. Farmers Co-op fire ruled accidental

Blount Co. Farmers Co-op fire ruled accidental

Posted: Updated:
Source: MyFoxAl.com Facebook page, courtesy of Lacie Holt Moon Source: MyFoxAl.com Facebook page, courtesy of Lacie Holt Moon
Source: MyFoxAl.com Facebook page, courtesy of Justin Gibbs Source: MyFoxAl.com Facebook page, courtesy of Justin Gibbs
ONEONTA, AL (WBRC) -

A fire that broke out last Tuesday at the Blount County Farmers Co-op in Oneonta and destroyed a storage shed has been ruled accidental.

The Alabama State Fire Marshal's Office and Oneonta Fire Department investigated the blaze and determined that the fire sparked as a result of machinery that was parked too close to combustible materials, OFD Chief David Osborne said. The fire destroyed the 4,500 square foot storage building located behind the co-op.

No serious injuries were reported in the blaze, but three emergency responders and two civilians were treated at nearby hospitals and released, according to Chief Osborne.

[SLIDESHOW: Photos from the scene of the fire]

Multiple agencies responded to the fire, including Straight Mountain Volunteer Fire department , Rosa VFD, Royal VFD, Susan Moore VFD, Allgood VFD, Murphree VFD and the Oneonta Fire Department. Chief Osborne said the Oneonta Public Works and Public Utilities provided technical support.

Officials were concerned about the fire involving chemicals, since pesticides and fertilizers were kept inside the storage shed that caught on fire. Oneonta's utilities dammed a creek to prevent runoff from any chemicals getting into the water system.

Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow