Family mourns the loss of disabled man in house fire

Family mourns the loss of disabled man in house fire

Posted: Updated:
Two people escaped during the blaze Saturday, but Dedrick Collins could not make it out. (Photo: WBRC video) Two people escaped during the blaze Saturday, but Dedrick Collins could not make it out. (Photo: WBRC video)
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -

Family members in Birmingham are remembering a paralyzed man, who lost his life in house fire. Two people escaped during the blaze Saturday, but Dedrick Collins could not make it out.

Collins was a quadriplegic, but relatives say he was still an inspiration to others.

"I mean, he was pretty much like a father figure to me. He helped me out through high school. Ge pretty much was my world, for real. It really hurts that he's gone now," said Devante Taylor, a cousin to Collins.

Family members say this was the second time a home Dedrick Collins lived in caught fire.

The survivors suffered burns and were taken to local hospitals. Birmingham fire officials believe the fire was caused by a stove that was left on.

Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow