Police officers at the scene of a fire say a family of five was able to escape the blaze safely.
The fire happened just before 5 a.m. on Tuesday morning at the General Clay Apartments in the 3000 block of Exeter Avenue in Bessemer.
Officials on the scene say at one unit was damaged and the unit above that one received minimal damage after the fire moved through the ducts. They believe the fire started in a bedroom.
There are no injuries and the cause of the fire has not yet been revealed.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive