Hoover City Schools are doing away with bus services for regular education students.
This announcement came at Monday night's school board meeting. Beginning in August 2014 parents will have to find another way to get their kids to school.
Some people in Hoover are stunned tonight over the announcement that officials say is about saving money. Officials say of the 14,000 students in the district, 48 percent use the buses.
The district feels the mone can be better spent going directly into the classrooms. The school board says annual revenues last year were down $31 million compared to 2008.
The district also says rising enrollment, declining property taxes and declining local funding have fueled the money woes.
The system says canceling bus service will save $2.5 million a year.
To read more about the decision, please visit http://www.hoovercityschools.net/Common/News2/HomePagePopUps/Default.asp?ItemID=54579&ISrc=District&Itype=News.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive