The Chilton County Airport will soon be getting some major improvements.
A $2.6-million expansion was announced on Tuesday and is planned to add 1,000 feet to the runway at the airport. This is being done so companies with small business jets will be able to land. Authorities with the airport say the expansion will have positive economic effects.
"Companies that can't fly their corporate jets into an area tend to ignore development opportunities," said Craig Clecler, Airport Authority Director.
90% of the money for the project will mostly come from the federal government. The remaining 10% will come from local and county money.
A completion date has not been set and could be around 2 years away. The current runway is over 30-years-old.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive