Multiple fire crews worked together on Monday morning to extinguish a fire in Jefferson County.
The fire erupted in the parking deck of the Jefferson County Courthouse. Officials say no one was injured in the fire and they are not sure how the fire started. They know the fire started with one car and damaged several others. Investigators think the car may have overheated. They say explosions reported from the scene were tires popping from the heat.
Two Jefferson County deputies discovered the fire and tried to use fire extinguishers to put out the blaze. When that did not work, they contacted the fire department.
Letitia Taylor, the owner of the red Pontiac Grand Prix where the fire originated, says she was getting items out of her car when it started smoking. She says she has never had problems with the car. Taylor claims she had an oil change on Friday and the car was in good condition. She says God got her out of the car when the fire started and says she could have been trapped inside if the electrical locks had failed. This comes after Taylor lost her husband three weeks ago in a motorcycle accident.
Part of Abraham Woods Boulevard was blocked by fire crews while they were working the fire. They have since left the area. The parking deck remains closed until an investigation into the fire can be completed.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive