A ten-year-old girl is recovering at a Birmingham hospital after her costume caught fire while she was helping out at a Jackson County haunted house.
It happened this past Friday night in the Trenton community. The event is put on by the fire department to raise money for operational expenses. As it happens, the victim is the daughter of the fire chief. He said it's just a very bad freak accident.
Sarah Thompson suffered burns on 20-30% of her body, especially her hands, according to Valley Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chris Thompson.
Sarah was playing the part of a zombie at the Evil House of Horrors, when around 8:40 p.m., she decided to take a break. She left the haunted house to warm up and walked into the yard where a fire was roaring in a 55-gallon barrel.
Chief Thompson said he believes the wind caused flames to catch her costume on fire. Sarah ran, but firefighter Stanley Smith took her to the ground and smothered out the fire with his jacket.
Sarah was taken to Huntsville Hospital, and then later transported to UAB in Birmingham.
Chief Thompson said his daughter is doing better now, and hopes she will be able to come home this weekend.
Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive