A dryer caught on fire at the Calhoun County Jail, causing smoke damage to the jail's laundry room and hallway.
Sheriff Larry Amerson said jail maintenance staff and an on-duty deputy reacted quickly and used a fire extinguisher to try to put out the flames. Anniston firefighters also responded to the scene and extinguished the fire.
The fire was contained to the dryer, but smoke spread to the laundry room and dry food storage area.
The sheriff said inmates were not in danger and none of the housing areas were affected by the fire. One of the two dryers is a total loss and the other is damaged.
A pipe connected to the dryer appears to be clogged and could be the reason for the fire, Sheriff Amerson said. They are inspecting the areas that need to be repaired.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive