If you're an animal lover you may have a tendency to feed your four-legged friends some holiday grub too.
But Dr. Roger Dieguez with Rocky Ridge Animal Clinic said you may want to veer away from that.
"After Thanksgiving is when we see a lot of animals with sick belly aches. A lot of vomiting, a lot of diarrhea," said Dr. Dieguez.
Dr. Dieguez said owners feed their pets a little here, a little there and eventually they end up at his office during the holidays.
"If you give them something greasy. If they get into the garbage and get a hold of remnants of a turkey or ham or something like that. That can cause pancreatitis and make them very, very ill," Dieguez said.
But if you just have to treat your pet this holiday season Dr. Dieguez said do it sparingly and be choosy when it comes to what you give your pet.
"I always say bland things. You know if you want to give your dog crackers or things that are very bland that's OK," said Dr. Dieguez.
If you give your pet turkey its recommended you leave the skin off. Also, be extra careful for danger foods.
"Raisins, onions are certainly on that list," said Dr. Dieguez.
Also on that list are chocolate, avocados, and foods made with artificial sweetener.
But if you really want to make sure your four-legged family members stay safe Dieguez says to take them away from temptation all together.
"Put them in another room. Shut the door and that's where he is safer. They're definitely safer away from the kitchen table," he said.
If your pet does get sick and you can't take them to a vet right away Dr. Dieguez said you can give them a small amount of hydrogen peroxide and it will force them to throw up what they ate.
He said to allow them to drink water but don't feed them for at least 24 hours.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive