Communities damaged in the April 27 tornadoes will receive more than $30 million in a new round of grants.
Gov. Robert Bentley made the announcement Tuesday in Cullman.
"Alabamians have worked hard to recover from the impact of the April 2011 tornadoes," Bentley said in a press release. "These grants will help Alabama communities continue the recovery process and become better places to live, work and raise a family."
Bentley thanked the Alabama Congressional delegation for their help in securing these grants.
These grants are part of a larger, special $49.1 million Community Development Block Grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
The grants will continue the work demolishing damaged infrastructure, the construction of multi-family housing, public buildings, road repairs, water and sewer services, drainage improvements and economic revitalization.
The Governor's Office also says the money will help improve infrastructure and flood management to minimize possible damage from future storms.
Seven counties and nine municipalities will receive the grants. They are:
- Tuscaloosa County: $7.3 million for sewer improvements and demolition in the Holt community
- Cullman: $5.72 million for sewer improvements
- Cordova: $3.7 million for rebuilding the city hall and police department and road improvements
- Hackleburg: $3.4 million for rebuilding the town hall and the police department, road improvements, economic development and multi-family housing
- Marion County: $2.63 million for road and water improvements
- Cullman County: $1.29 million for road improvements
- Franklin County $1.23 million for road improvements
- Winston County: $985,029 for road improvements
- Phil Campbell: $976,104 for road improvements
- Blount County: $758,572 for road improvements
- DeKalb County: $672,135 for road improvements
- Birmingham: $625,000 for demolition
- Moulton: $593,480 for street improvements
- Haleyville: $523, 876 for street improvements
- Tuscaloosa: $100,000 for a bus stop
- Hanceville: $80,000 for sewer improvements
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive