(WMC-TV) - A hidden danger could be in your children's Christmas presents, and it could be deadly.
Coin-sized batteries often found in mini remotes, flameless candles, bathroom scales and other household items look harmless, but that's not the case for a curious child who likes to put everything in his or her mouth.
When swallowed it gets stuck and the salvia causes a chemical reaction where intense burning of the esophagus can happen.
In an video report, the Action News 5 Investigators bought a pack of hot dogs to show how quickly the battery can react. We cut a slit in a hot dog and placed the battery inside.
The hotdog and juices imitate a child's throat; within 30 minutes that hot dog was turning black and the battery acid bubbling.
After two and a half hours, it burned the hotdog and left a circle.
Experts say kids can still breathe with the coin lithium battery in their throat. So it may not be not be obvious at first that something is wrong. If your child swallows one then go to the emergency room immediately.
Copyright 2013 WMC-TV. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive