Here's what you saw on Good Day Alabama for December 27, 2013:
BLOOD DRIVE & MOVIE TICKETS - Blood supplies are typically low this time of year, but if you can help out you'll get free movie tickets. Brian Garrett with Lifesouth joined us this morning to talk about giving.
On December 26-28 LifeSouth will offer free movie tickets to blood donors at blood drives all over the Birmingham area, and at its donor center at 396 West Oxmoor Road. Here are the locations or you can go to MyFoxAl.com.
December 27th - Wal-Mart, 10675 Alabama 5, Brent, noon to 6 p.m.; CVS, 4736 Eastern Valley Road, McCalla, noon to 4:30 p.m.; Regions Bank, 310 Highway 78 East, Jasper, noon to 4:30 p.m.; Wal-Mart, 5919 Trussville Crossings Parkway, Trussville, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Dec. 28: Wal-Mart, 16077 U.S. 280, Chelsea, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Wal-Mart, 5919 Trussville Crossings Parkway, Trussville, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Bill and Son's Super Market, 31040 First Ave. #4, Carbon Hill, noon to 6 p.m.
must be 17 years old, or 16 with parental permission, weigh a minimum
of 110 pounds and be in good health. A photo I.D. is also required.
Donations made with LifeSouth have a direct local impact, helping
patients in Birmingham area hospitals.
HOLIDAY COCKTAILS - George McMillan from FoodBar and his bartender, Zak Kittle discuss mixology of drinks and creating unique cocktails for your New Year's Eve parties.
BARGAIN MOM - Bargain Mom Christy Dedman stopped by with some budgeting ideas to give you an early start on 2014. And as you're hitting the after Christmas sales this week be on the lookout for some of these items that will help you save money in 2014:
1. Gift closet -- Make one and add
to it this week. Include gifts for kids and adults. You'll find
random items that may not make sense now but down the road it could be
the perfect gift for someone on a special occasion.
2. Wrapping paper - Right now it's still 50 to 75 percent off. When you see it at 90 percent off, stock up.
3. Mark down schedules are on a high speed track this year -- Most stores follow a mark-down schedule after the holidays. One day after the holiday items are 50 percent off for a few days. Then items go to 75 percent off and if you're lucky you'll score some good stuff at 90 percent off within 7 days of the holiday. However this year you'll notice stores are pushing the clearance faster.
4. In search of - Look for hard to find products that have been returned. This is a good time to watch for discounts on returned merchandise that may have package cosmetic issues, but the contents are perfectly fine.
5. Paper products --Look for red cups, napkins, tablecloths, favors or candy that can be repurposed for Valentine's Day events.
6. Make a profit -- If you spot outdoor Christmas decorations such as inflatables and yard ornaments at rock bottom prices, snatch them up and sell them next holiday season to make a profit.
7. Baby's First Christmas items -- These are perfect for shower gifts. Of course right now you don't know a single person who's going to have a baby this time next year. However, you will. Snatch up these ornaments, stockings, bib sets and onesies that are dirt cheap as great baby shower gifts. Make sure you figure in what the projected age of the infant will be to match the product.
ZOO CREW - Kelly Wall joins us from the Birmingham Zoo to introduce Mickey to a new animal. To learn more information about the animal or visit the zoo, go to birminghamzoo.com.
ADAMSVILLE MAN EATS CAROLINA REAPER PEPPER - We had a story during the 6:00am hour on Good Day Alabama Friday morning on the carolina reaper - deemed the hottest pepper in the world. We then Skyped Adamsville resident Rev. Tom Salter who has actually tasted the carolina reaper. He ate part of one live on air. Brave man!
COMEDIAN - Comedian Lavell Crawford joined us on set for some laughs. In addition to his recent televised stand up specials, Lavell is a regular guest on "Chelsea Lately" and Tosh.O, and he's a go-to guest host for The Steve Harvey Show. Lavell aslo just finished his brilliant run on the AMC series "breaking Bad."
For tickets or more information for this weekend's appearances, call the Comedy Club Stardome at (205) 444-0008 or visit stardome.com.
GOOD DAY COOKING - Chef Donnell Johnson cooked shrimp creole this morning. For recipe information log onto MyFoxAl.com.
1720 Valley View Drive