DeKalb Co. hosiery mill catches fire

DeKalb Co. hosiery mill catches fire

Posted: Updated:
The hosiery mill sustained damage from the sprinkler system during a fire. The hosiery mill sustained damage from the sprinkler system during a fire.

A fire broke out in the last remaining hosiery mill in a rural DeKalb County town, but water and smoke did most of the damage.

Valley Head, Hammondville and Mentone firefighters responded before dawn Wednesday to Bill's Hosiery in downtown Valley Head. Some boxes caught fire inside, but the owner said the sprinkler system of the business put the fire out. The main concern now is what damage was done to the business's automated machines.

The company's owner said this wasn't the way he envisioned brining in the new year. Guffey believes a heater caught the boxes on fire. There is no word on when he plans to reopen for business.

Bill's Hosiery is the only remaining hosiery mill left in the town of Valley Head. The company has been in business for thirty years and supplies socks for schools and prisons. Guffey is concerned because he has orders that have to be filled.

Guffey said once the building is dried out, he will be able to test the equipment and see how extensive the damage really is. If he is not able to get the mill started back up soon, he said he will contract the work temporarily to meet his customers' demands.

Remember, when breaking news happens, we break it first online, by email, and by text. If you want to receive our breaking news alerts by text, pull out your phone right now and text NEWS to 44848. Message and data rates may apply. You can text STOP at any time to cancel your subscription, text HELP for more information, or call 877-571-0774 for support.

Copyright 2014 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow