A house in Brighton was consumed by fire while fire crews fought one problem after another, thanks to the frigid weather.
Brighton Fire Chief Sebastian Carrillo says the Brighton Fire Department received a call on Tuesday morning for a small house fire in the 900 block of Palmer Avenue. At the scene, crews found a small fire burning in the bedroom of the home.
Chief Carrillo says crews attempted to attach a hose to a nearby hydrant, but it was frozen and unusable. An attempt at a second hydrant was also unsuccessful. By this time, the house was fully involved by the fire.
Lipscomb Fire Department was contacted for assistance, according to Chief Carrillo. But they couldn't help because the locks on the doors to their fire department had frozen. They weren't able to get the fire engines out of the building.
In the meantime, the Brighton Fire Department tried to use water that was stored on their engine.
"As soon as we advanced our handline, the water on the landline froze and our handline ruptured on us so that was another problem," Carrillo said.
Birmingham Fire and Rescue was contacted and they were able to assist, but the house was lost in the fire. Fortunately, no injuries were reported.
Carrillo says that the situation wasn't due to equipment failure but to the cold.
"I've been doing this for 20 years...I never remember weather this cold to where our hydrants would freeze up," he said.
FOX6 News spoke to the woman who lived at the home with her brother. She declined our request to speak on camera but told us this was the home where she grew up and that she doesn't have homeowners insurance.
Copyright 2014 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive