A Vietnam veteran died in a house fire early Friday morning. Authorities have not yet released the name of the victim.
Firefighters were called to Fulton Avenue in southwest Birmingham about 2:30 a.m. Friday, Jan. 10 and found a house on fire. Three people were inside at the time of the blaze. The battalion chief said one person was killed in the fire and another was transported to the burn unit for treatment.
Travion Jones was visiting a neighbor at the time of the fire. Jones said he could hear the victim inside of the home.
"You could hear him saying he was trying to get out, he was on fire. It was crazy," Travion Jones said.
Jones and others in the area say the victim had difficulty walking. He used a wheelchair and a walker at times.
Family members surveyed the damage later on Friday morning. The victim's daughter said her brother who was injured in the fire would be alright.
Laura Hadnott lives next door to the house that burned. Hadnott said the family moved into the home about two years ago. Hadnot said the victim made an effort to watch out for others despite his disability.
"He was just a jolly man. I was proud of him cause he took care of my home when I wasn't here and just made me happy," Hadnott said.
The Vietnam veteran was known for sitting on his porch talking to his neighbors.
"I loved him cause people today don't care nothing about each other. If he [saw] you coming, you are going to have to say something to him," Hadnott said.
The investigation continues into the fire. Electrical problems or a space heater could be the cause of the deadly blaze.
Copyright 2014 WBRC. All rights reserved.
1720 Valley View Drive