Students dismissed after gas leak at Parkway Christian Academy

Students dismissed after gas leak at Parkway Christian Academy

Posted: Updated:
Students were dismissed early from Parkway Christian Academy after a gas leak was found in the kitchen. Source: Judson Garner/WBRC Students were dismissed early from Parkway Christian Academy after a gas leak was found in the kitchen. Source: Judson Garner/WBRC
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) -

Students at Parkway Christian Academy in Huffman were evacuated as a precaution on Friday morning after a gas leak was discovered in the school's kitchen.

Principal Michael Gallien asked parents to pick up their children at Parkway Christian Fellowship Church across the street.

Gallien said the leak in the kitchen stove barely registered on the meter when the gas company came out to inspect the leak. School officials canceled classes for the rest of the day since the staff would be unable to prepare lunch for the students in the kitchen.

The stove is expected to repaired by Tuesday, when students will return to class after a three day weekend for President's Day.

Parkway Christian Academy is located at 959 Huffman Road in Birmingham. The school is a K5-12th grade Christian school with about 250 students.

Copyright 2014 WBRC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow