Here is what you saw on Good Day Alabama for May 5, 2014:
JEH JEH LIVE - Jeh Jeh worked out on this Exercise Monday! He joined us with Curtis Starks at EVO. For more information, call (205) 583-3000.
MOTHER'S DAY GIFTS - Cecilia Pearson with Alabama Baby & Child Magazine shows us some great ideas for Mother's Day gifts and baskets. For more information, visit http://albabymag.com/.
BBB - With recent severe weather that struck Alabama, Attorney General Luther Strange pledged that his office will be vigilant in preventing anyone from making a profit from the damages. After the governor issued a State of Emergency, the state's price gouging law is now in effect. That means no pricing should be more than 25% above the average price for the same item for the previous 30 days. Attorney General Strange and BBB caution consumers to take the following precautions when hiring someone for home repairs:
- Find out as much as you can about the company, especially if they make unsolicited contact with you or have come from out of town.
- Ask for proof that the company is bonded and insured.
- Ask if they are licensed in Alabama. Certain types and scope of work require licensing by the Alabama Home Builders Licensure Board. Call them at 800-304-0853 to ensure the company is properly licensed.
- Ask if your job requires a local construction permit. Most repairs of major significance do. DO NOT apply for the permit in your name. If the contractor is unwilling to apply for a permit in his own name, they could be hiding something.
- Obtain several written estimates and beware of estimates that seem "too good to be true."
- Ask for references. Get names and addresses and call them.
- Require the contractor to prepare a written contract. Make sure it includes the contractor's full name, place of business and telephone number. It should also include the full scope of work to be done, start and completion dates, total cost and payment schedule.
- Never make a full payment up front and do not make the final payment until you are satisfied with the work performed.
Go to bbb.org to check on thousands of contractors or call BBB at (205) 558-2222. You can also call the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Office at 1-800-392-5658.
DR ASA - Janice talked with Dr. Asa Andrew - known as America's Health and Lifestyle Coach®. He is also a national best-selling author, radio and TV host, and founder of Diagnosis HOPE, a non-profit dedicated to health education and supporting the uninsured. He has dedicated his life to helping others thrive in their health. Today he discussed how to boost energy levels in 6 days
1.Avoid caffeine from sodas and coffee for 6 days and use unsweetened tea and water only
2.Consider Vitamin B5 and Vitamin C supplements
3.Lower carbohydrates to 40% of your overall diet- Fruits and Vegetables Only
4.Eliminate Grains and Dairy for 6 Days
5.Start a Walking Routine 15 minutes a Day
6.Be in bed by 10pm
For more information, visit http://www.drasa.com/.
ASK THE GARDENER - Alabama Cooperative Extension Agent Sallie Lee took questions from viewers about their gardening needs. You can reach her at the Extension office with your questions at (205) 879-6964 ext 11.
COOKING - Believe it or not, you can cook low calorie and flavorful meals at home in less than 30 minutes. Culinary Nutritionist, Jessica Cox, from eMeals showed us how to make Spicy Chicken with Skillet Corn Salsa. This dinner recipe is big on flavor but short on time and calories. With just 7 ingredients you can have a flavorful dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. And for those of you who are watching your diet and getting ready or summer, it has only 275 calories per serving. Visit our recipe page for the full recipe from the eMeals Low Calorie meal plan.
Tomorrow on Good Day Alabama, Sam Woolf heads home on American Idol and we talk with him about the experience! Local students receive top honors from the Gates Foundation.... we meet them! Want to protect your inheritance? We show you how in Money Tuesday! And Susan Swaggler brings us some new books for some great summer entertainment! Join us for this and much more tomorrow on Good Day Alabama.
1720 Valley View Drive